5 Methods to Make Inexperienced Bean Casserole More healthy | Hartford HealthCare
November 20, 2023
It’s turn into as a lot a Thanksgiving staple as butternut squash and carrots, however the one that you love inexperienced bean casserole is not almost as wholesome as these different sides.
However earlier than you tear up your menu, contemplate recommendation from Melissa Keeney, RDN, scientific diet supervisor at St. Vincent’s Medical Heart.
“At particular meals resembling Thanksgiving, all meals can have a spot, and folks ought to eat what will be satisfying for them,” she says.
That would imply sticking with the standard inexperienced bean casserole recipe on the vacation. Or, says Keeney, discovering new methods so as to add dietary worth to the standard recipe.
5 methods to make inexperienced bean casserole more healthy.
Take into consideration the substances of the unique inexperienced bean casserole, Keeney says.
“The standard recipe makes use of canned soup, canned inexperienced beans and fried onions. Consequently, the dish is excessive in sodium and fats,” she explains. “As well as, canned inexperienced beans might not have as a lot taste or fiber as contemporary substances.”
Enhance the well being issue, she suggests, by attempting these simple ingredient switches:
- Air fry onions as an alternative of utilizing the crispy fried ones
- Use fat-free or unsalted cream of mushroom soup moderately than the unique
- Swap 2% milk for 1%, or use unsweetened almond, oat or coconut milk
- Use low-sodium soy sauce as an alternative of normal, add much less or get rid of it completely
- Add contemporary inexperienced beans as an alternative of canned. Blanch them the night time earlier than. For a bonus, add contemporary sautéed mushrooms.
> Associated: 6 Wholesome Meals to Add to Your Plate This Thanksgiving
Plus, 3 bonus ideas for leaving the desk happy, however not stuffed.
Even when meals just like the inexperienced bean casserole are made more healthy, “stuffing” your self might really feel uncomfortable on the Thanksgiving desk. To assist that day, Keeney suggests:
- Consuming frequently all through the day. Don’t skip meals earlier than Thanksgiving dinner since you’ll be so hungry you could eat previous the purpose of fullness, or eat so shortly you don’t benefit from the meals.
- Take your time. Deal with how the meals seems to be, smells and tastes. Put your fork down between bites. Interact in dinner dialog with your loved ones and associates.
- Take a stroll after consuming. This exercise helps you digest your meal and preserve your blood sugar ranges extra steady
“It’s regular to eat greater than typical on a vacation,” Keeney says. “You’ll be able to all the time take leftovers house to benefit from the subsequent day as properly.”