5 Methods to Make Inexperienced Bean Casserole More healthy | Hartford Hospital
November 20, 2023
It’s turn into as a lot a Thanksgiving staple as butternut squash and carrots, however the one you love inexperienced bean casserole is not almost as wholesome as these different sides.
However earlier than you tear up your menu, think about recommendation from Melissa Keeney, RDN, scientific diet supervisor at St. Vincent’s Medical Heart.
“At particular meals equivalent to Thanksgiving, all meals can have a spot, and other people ought to eat what will be satisfying for them,” she says.
That might imply sticking with the standard inexperienced bean casserole recipe on the vacation. Or, says Keeney, discovering new methods so as to add dietary worth to the standard recipe.
5 methods to make inexperienced bean casserole more healthy.
Take into consideration the substances of the unique inexperienced bean casserole, Keeney says.
“The normal recipe makes use of canned soup, canned inexperienced beans and fried onions. In consequence, the dish is excessive in sodium and fats,” she explains. “As well as, canned inexperienced beans might not have as a lot taste or fiber as recent substances.”
Increase the well being issue, she suggests, by making an attempt these straightforward ingredient switches:
- Air fry onions as a substitute of utilizing the crispy fried ones
- Use fat-free or unsalted cream of mushroom soup moderately than the unique
- Swap 2% milk for 1%, or use unsweetened almond, oat or coconut milk
- Use low-sodium soy sauce as a substitute of normal, add much less or remove it completely
- Add recent inexperienced beans as a substitute of canned. Blanch them the evening earlier than. For a bonus, add recent sautéed mushrooms.
> Associated: 6 Wholesome Meals to Add to Your Plate This Thanksgiving
Plus, 3 bonus suggestions for leaving the desk glad, however not stuffed.
Even when meals just like the inexperienced bean casserole are made more healthy, “stuffing” your self might really feel uncomfortable on the Thanksgiving desk. To assist that day, Keeney suggests:
- Consuming usually all through the day. Don’t skip meals earlier than Thanksgiving dinner since you’ll be so hungry you might eat previous the purpose of fullness, or eat so shortly you don’t benefit from the meals.
- Take your time. Give attention to how the meals seems, smells and tastes. Put your fork down between bites. Interact in dinner dialog with your loved ones and mates.
- Take a stroll after consuming. This exercise helps you digest your meal and maintain your blood sugar ranges extra secure
“It’s regular to eat greater than regular on a vacation,” Keeney says. “You may all the time take leftovers residence to benefit from the subsequent day as properly.”