Can You Freeze Spaghetti Squash?
It’s the vegetable that acts like a noodle, including a low-carb crunch to stir-fries, spaghetti casseroles, and even pad Thai recipes: spaghetti squash. Actually, what can’t it do? It is a terrific ingredient that may be cooked in some ways.
“Spaghetti squash has grow to be so fashionable as a result of it’s a wholesome different to spaghetti that occurs to be filled with taste and vitamins,” says Chef Ben Warwick, government chef at Windy Hill Farm & Protect, a luxurious vacation spot resort in Loudon, Tennessee — its award-winning restaurant Wilder is a garden-to-table idea specializing in elevated takes on traditional Southern fare with worldwide influences. “It is also versatile and tastes scrumptious with varied sauces and seasonings, and enhances many different components very properly.”
Learn on to find out about how to make sure you have entry to this vegetable year-round and why freezing it simply may present an surprising diet enhance, too.
Can You Freeze Spaghetti Squash?
You positive can, and you might even reap some further advantages by doing so. “Freezing spaghetti squash and plenty of other forms of produce when they’re at their peak freshness not solely locks in its vitamins,” says Warwick, “but in addition gives the flexibility to meal prep in season for out-of-season taste.”
After all, that doesn’t imply you’re going to simply plop the entire squash into your freezer; there’s a little bit prep work concerned to get it prepared for a deep chill — and, much more importantly, ensure that it thaws completely whenever you’re prepared to make use of it.
How To Freeze Spaghetti Squash
Earlier than you’ll be able to take into consideration freezing your spaghetti squash, you’ll have to prepare dinner it. Right here’s the tactic Warwick recommends:
Prep And Prepare dinner Correctly
- Warmth the oven to 375 levels Fahrenheit with the rack within the heart.
- Reduce the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.
- Place squash on a rimmed baking sheet, lower aspect up, and bake for 40-45 minutes, or till tender.
- Take away the squash from the oven and permit it to chill for roughly 40 minutes.
- Run a fork lengthwise via the flesh to separate it into strands.
- Put the squash in a colander and set it on high of a big mixing bowl. Cowl and retailer it within the fridge for a minimum of 12 hours.
- After it’s all drained, discard the water and scoop the squash strands right into a freezer-safe bag or container.
- Squeeze out all the surplus air in every bag, label and date the luggage, and freeze.
How Lengthy Can You Freeze Spaghetti Squash?
The USDA says that frozen meals is secure to make use of ceaselessly, as a result of micro organism and different pathogens can’t develop in meals that’s frozen at 0 levels or under. Nonetheless, it does acknowledge that meals lose some high quality, by way of taste, colour, and texture, after extended freezing. As such, Warwick says spaghetti squash will be frozen for as much as eight months and nonetheless keep its high quality.
Thawing And Utilizing Frozen Spaghetti Squash
Prepared to make use of your spaghetti squash now? Correct thawing for spaghetti squash could be a slack thaw, says Warwick, which implies you pull it from the freezer to the fridge two days upfront of consuming it.
In a pinch, he says you’ll be able to safe the Ziplock or freezer-safe bag and run a gradual stream of chilly water over it. Both method, when you ready it appropriately previous to freezing, you gained’t have to make any changes to your recipe to make use of it — it gained’t have surplus moisture or texture points.
Ideas And Tips For Freezing Spaghetti Squash
- Don’t lower corners when draining: Making certain that the cooked squash is drained correctly earlier than freezing is the important thing to reaching the feel and style you need upon thawing it, says Warwick. You don’t need any extra water in your remaining product.
- Save your seeds for a snack: “At Windy Hill Farm & Protect, we keep a zero-waste setting, so we make the most of each a part of the components we develop and use,” says Warwick. “I extremely encourage house cooks to contemplate saving the seeds from their squash and roasting them as you’ll for pumpkin seeds and saving them for a wholesome snack or salad topper.”
- Strive it in risotto: Questioning how you can use your freshly thawed spaghetti squash? “Merely roasted with salt and pepper is my go-to for spaghetti squash and actually all kinds of squash as a result of I believe it’s so flavorful by itself, however stirred right into a risotto is all the time a crowdpleaser,” says Warwick.