Creamed Kale Casserole, The Higher Model Of Your Inexperienced Bean Fave
Every thing Thanksgiving: Get all our Thanksgiving recipes, how-to’s and extra!
As we’re all sitting all the way down to plan our Thanksgiving menus this 12 months, I do know numerous them will embody some model of inexperienced bean casserole. Whether or not you go the old-school route with canned inexperienced beans, condensed cream of mushroom soup and French’s fried onions, or the new-school route with every little thing freshly made, I’m right here to let you know to throw all of them out.
I’ve one thing even higher, with all the identical nice flavors. Let’s name it the new-new-school model. It doesn’t contain utilizing mushy canned inexperienced beans or require the tedious activity of slicing and blanching recent inexperienced beans. Who has time for that when now we have one million different sides to make? For many who fall sufferer to nostalgia, don’t fear: This dish nonetheless has all of the elements of the casserole you grew up with, however with an elevated really feel.
As a substitute, the primary star of this dish is kale. Not solely is it extra nutrient-dense, but it surely’s truly simpler to make. The kale is cooked in the identical pan because the cream sauce, making it virtually a one-pot dish. The second pan is used to make fried shallots, however we’ll get again to that later. I want to make use of kale as a result of the sauce sticks higher to kale leaves, stepping into every groove so every little thing comes collectively in a cohesive, scrumptious method. I additionally stir freshly grated parmesan cheese into the sauce so as to add a robust, nutty taste.
Lastly, I prime all of it off with do-it-yourself fried shallots. They prepare dinner in lower than 2 minutes and make such a distinction. The canned selection can style waxy and off, whereas a fast do-it-yourself model packs a robust onion taste to steadiness out the richness from the cream sauce. Don’t be afraid to make additional, as there’s at all times a sneak lurking across the nook grabbing handfuls of this fried goodness. Any leftover oil might be strained and used all through the week in different dishes. Use it similar to you’d olive oil. Simply make sure you retailer the oil within the fridge to maintain it from spoiling.
This dish is even higher the following day — I’ve been identified to unfold it like mayo on my Thanksgiving leftovers sandwich. Right here’s to new traditions this Thanksgiving which are extra scrumptious and only a tad bit higher for you.
Creamed Kale Casserole With Do-it-yourself Fried Shallots
8 tablespoons butter, divided
12 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems eliminated and sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 bunches of kale, stems discarded, leaves chopped into 1/2-inch items
1/2 cup rooster inventory
6 tablespoons flour
3 1/2 cups half-and-half (at room temp)
1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
4 giant shallots, thinly sliced
1. Add canola oil to a depth of two inches in a big, heavy, high-sided skillet, leaving not less than an inch of house from the highest of the skillet. Warmth over medium warmth till it reaches 350 levels Fahrenheit.
2. Add shallots and prepare dinner till crispy and frivolously browned, about 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Use slotted spoon to take away to paper-towel-lined plate. Let extra oil drain off and season with salt. Reserve for later.
4. In the meantime, soften 2 tablespoons butter in a big pot at medium warmth. Add mushrooms and prepare dinner till browned, about 5 to 7 minutes.
5. Add garlic and prepare dinner 1 extra minute.
6. Add the kale in batches and toss till wilted.
7. When all the kale is added to the pan, stir in rooster inventory. Cowl and let prepare dinner till kale is softened and rooster inventory has evaporated, about 5 to 7 minutes.
8. Take away cowl; add remaining butter and prepare dinner till melted.
9. Sprinkle flour over kale and prepare dinner for two minutes.
10. Slowly whisk in half-and-half and prepare dinner till thickened, about 5 minutes.
11. Take away from warmth and stir in parmesan. Season with salt to style.
12. Switch creamed kale to casserole dish, prime with crispy fried onions. Serve instantly.
13. Alternatively, this may be made forward and saved heat in an oven at low warmth — simply add fried onions proper earlier than serving.