Creamed Kale Casserole, The Higher Model Of Your Inexperienced Bean Fave
As we’re all sitting all the way down to plan our Thanksgiving menus this yr, I do know a number of them will embrace some model of inexperienced bean casserole. Whether or not you go the old-school route with canned inexperienced beans, condensed cream of mushroom soup and French’s fried onions, or the new-school route with every little thing freshly made, I’m right here to inform you to throw all of them out.
I’ve one thing even higher, with all the identical nice flavors. Let’s name it the new-new-school model. It doesn’t contain utilizing mushy canned inexperienced beans or require the tedious process of chopping and blanching contemporary inexperienced beans. Who has time for that when now we have 1,000,000 different sides to make? For individuals who fall sufferer to nostalgia, don’t fear: This dish nonetheless has all of the elements of the casserole you grew up with, however with an elevated really feel.
This dish nonetheless has all of the elements of the inexperienced bean casserole you grew up with, however with an elevated really feel.
As a substitute, the primary star of this dish is kale. Not solely is it extra nutrient-dense, but it surely’s truly simpler to make. The kale is cooked in the identical pan because the cream sauce, making it nearly a one-pot dish. The second pan is used to make fried shallots, however we’ll get again to that later. I want to make use of kale as a result of the sauce sticks higher to kale leaves, moving into every groove so every little thing comes collectively in a cohesive, scrumptious method. I additionally stir freshly grated parmesan cheese into the sauce so as to add a robust, nutty taste.
Lastly, I high all of it off with home made fried shallots. They cook dinner in lower than 2 minutes and make such a distinction. The canned selection can style waxy and rancid, whereas a fast home made model packs a robust onion taste to stability out the richness from the cream sauce. Don’t be afraid to make further, as there’s at all times a sneak lurking across the nook grabbing handfuls of this fried goodness. Any leftover oil might be strained and used all through the week in different dishes. Use it similar to you’ll olive oil. Simply make sure to retailer the oil within the fridge to maintain it from spoiling.
This dish is even higher the subsequent day — I’ve been identified to unfold it like mayo on my Thanksgiving leftovers sandwich. Right here’s to new traditions this Thanksgiving which can be extra scrumptious and only a tad bit higher for you.
The brand new-new-school model of inexperienced bean casserole.
Creamed Kale Casserole With Do-it-yourself Fried Shallots
8 tablespoons butter, divided
12 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems eliminated and sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 bunches of kale, stems discarded, leaves chopped into 1/2-inch items
1/2 cup hen inventory
6 tablespoons flour
3 1/2 cups half-and-half (at room temp)
1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
4 giant shallots, thinly sliced
1. Add canola oil to a depth of two inches in a big, heavy, high-sided skillet, leaving at the very least an inch of area from the highest of the skillet. Warmth over medium warmth till it reaches 350 levels Fahrenheit.
2. Add shallots and cook dinner till crispy and calmly browned, about 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Use slotted spoon to take away to paper-towel-lined plate. Let extra oil drain off and season with salt. Reserve for later.
4. In the meantime, soften 2 tablespoons butter in a big pot at medium warmth. Add mushrooms and cook dinner till browned, about 5 to 7 minutes.
5. Add garlic and cook dinner 1 extra minute.
6. Add the kale in batches and toss till wilted.
7. When all the kale is added to the pan, stir in hen inventory. Cowl and let cook dinner till kale is softened and hen inventory has evaporated, about 5 to 7 minutes.
8. Take away cowl; add remaining butter and cook dinner till melted.
9. Sprinkle flour over kale and cook dinner for two minutes.
10. Slowly whisk in half-and-half and cook dinner till thickened, about 5 minutes.
11. Take away from warmth and stir in parmesan. Season with salt to style.
12. Switch creamed kale to casserole dish, high with crispy fried onions. Serve instantly.
13. Alternatively, this may be made forward and saved heat in an oven at low warmth — simply add fried onions proper earlier than serving.
Don’t be afraid to make further shallots, as there’s at all times a sneak lurking across the nook grabbing handfuls of this fried goodness.