Meals with Ardour: Irish Farmhouse Rooster Casserole
His ardour for correct household cooking stems from his Grandmothers, who had been each wonderful cooks, one among whom was a educated chef.
JP guarantees to convey us loads of family-inspired recipes and engaging treats whereas displaying us how you can get the fundamentals proper.
I’ve posted this recipe beforehand, a couple of years again, however over the weekend because the climate was so uninteresting, moist and gray I craved a comforting bowl of stew like goodness and I all of a sudden realised it had been someday since I final made this scrumptious Rooster Casserole.
Stuffed with earthy staple farmhouse greens, smoked bacon lardons and melt-in-the-mouth hen, served with champ mash, that is the last word warming and comforting meals for the soul, on days when all you want is a hug from a bowl at dinnertime.
It is a one-pot dinner, one among my favorite sort to make (much less washing-up) that may be prepped upfront after which bunged into the oven to slow-cook for a couple of hours, so it takes care of itself.
The smells because the casserole cooks are scrumptious, inviting and comforting and fill the entire home.
What higher technique to welcome your visitors once they arrive than with the scent of a scrumptious supper.
Elements: (Serves 4)
- 4 hen fillets (pores and skin on – your butcher will do that for you) or 8 hen thighs. (I take advantage of fillets as none of my household like hen with bones in)
- 500ml sizzling hen inventory
- Two tablespoons of flour
- 2 giant carrots diced
- 1 onion diced
- 1 parsnip diced
- 100g smoked bacon lardons
- 80g frozen backyard peas
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon
- Drizzle of runny honey
- Tablespoon of chopped recent thyme
- 1 sprig of recent rosemary chopped
- Sea salt & cracked black pepper for seasoning
- 2 tablespoons of rapeseed oil
- Two tablespoons of Rooster Gravy granules (if required and optionally available)
- Preheat your oven to 180° Celsius / Fuel Mark 4.
- In a big casserole dish, warmth up the oil and pop the hen in (pores and skin facet down) and prepare dinner till seared and golden brown.
- Take away and put aside on a plate and pop within the bacon lardons and prepare dinner till they’re browned off.
- Add the chopped and ready carrots, parsnip, onions and recent herbs and prepare dinner for 7 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the flour and prepare dinner off for 2 minutes then add the inventory and permit to thicken for a minute or two.
- Pop the browned-off hen again into the casserole, season, clamp a lid on and pop into the oven for one hour. Take away and add the peas, stir and pop again into the oven for between 15 –half-hour. All ovens range however you’re searching for the casserole to have thickened and the hen to be tender and falling aside. Add the choices x 2 tablespoons of hen gravy granules if wanted at this level.
- Serve in giant bowls with champ mash (Mash with softened scallion, butter, cream / milk)
Now sit again calm down and revel in. The flavours of this casserole are comforting, scrumptious and conventional and this dish is ideal to serve on these days when it’s gray and moist exterior, while you don’t need or have to go away the home.
That is my brother Barry’s favorite dinner and naturally he got here for dinner once I made it over the weekend and sure, he went again for seconds – it’s that good!
I hope you’re impressed to provide this recipe a go, you gained’t remorse it.
For full entry to all content material on Echo.ie and to help the continuation of native information and native journalism in your group subscribe HERE.
Thanks on your ongoing help.