How To Freeze Zucchini (4 Strategies)
When you hit up the farmers’ market or grocery retailer this week, it’s probably you left with a couple of zucchini in your cart. This versatile vegetable can be utilized to make every thing from muffins to casseroles, making it a favourite within the kitchen.
Zucchini will be fried, grilled, or sautéed to get the specified taste and texture whereas nonetheless offering the candy style and crunch that folks know and love. Nevertheless, in relation to making ready zucchini, you would possibly discover that you simply need to freeze it whether or not that’s to be used at a later date or for leftovers down the road . The query then turns into how do you freeze zucchini?
Normally, the strategies for freezing zucchini range based mostly on the sort in entrance of you. To assist make the method simpler, we spoke with Chayanin Pornsriniyom, chef-instructor of Plant-Based mostly Culinary Arts on the Institute of Culinary Schooling to get the lowdown on every thing from blanching to freezing zucchini in a couple of easy steps.
Can You Freeze Zucchini?
You completely can freeze zucchini—and it is fairly straightforward! Nevertheless it’s not so simple as inserting complete and even sliced zucchini proper into the freezer.
You will have to take a couple of minutes to organize zucchini for freezing. Primarily, you may need to blanch the zucchini. Blanching helps make sure the vegetable can be vibrant as soon as it is thawed, and it’ll assist the zucchini retain some texture. Blanching will even assist the zucchini last more within the freezer.
How To Blanch Zucchini (and Why You Ought to)
Much like many different greens you freeze, blanching is a crucial first step. “Blanching earlier than freezing helps stop discoloration and having the meals flip mushy after thawing,” says Pornsriniyom.
Listed here are the steps for blanching zucchini:
- Boil a pot of water. (Don’t add salt or zucchini will flip too delicate.)
- Lower zucchini into the specified dimension and put together an ice-water bathtub.
- As soon as the water has boiled, toss the zucchini in and blanch for 3 minutes.
- Lastly, switch into an ice bathtub to cease the cooking course of.
How To Freeze Zucchini Noodles
Whether or not you are trying to make use of zoodles (zucchini noodles) in a wholesome pasta recipe or as a aspect dish, here is how Pornsriniyom says to freeze them:
- Blanch zucchini noodles as talked about above.
- Drain the noodles, and air dry or pat dry with paper towels.
- Portion out the noodles and lay them on a flat floor to freeze.
- As soon as frozen and stable, you may bundle multiple portion into every freezer bag, separating them utilizing parchment paper till the bag is full.
How To Freeze Shredded Zucchini
Shredded zucchini is one other frequent kitchen staple and can be utilized in a wide range of recipes from burgers and pie to pancakes and bread. Right here’s how Pornsriniyom advises to freeze shredded zucchini:
- Blanch shredded zucchini as outlined above.
- Squeeze as a lot water out of shredded zucchini as doable by inserting inside cheesecloth and squeezing firmly.
- Lay flat right into a freezer bag and freeze.
How To Freeze Sliced Zucchini
Sliced zucchini can be utilized to make zucchini chips or sautéed for a fast and straightforward aspect dish.
To freeze sliced zucchini:
- Place sliced zucchini on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper and freeze till stable.
- As soon as frozen then portion them out into the freezer luggage.
How To Freeze Entire Zucchini
Pornsriniyom doesn’t advise freezing an entire zucchini because it requires an amazing period of time to thaw and might turn out to be boring in shade and mushy in texture.
Incessantly Requested Questions
When freezing zucchini, or any meals actually, hermetic containers are crucial for long-term freezing. This consists of ziplock and air-tight sealed luggage.
“If meals is packed in hermetic containers, it might stay scrumptious within the freezer for a really very long time, actually indefinitely,” says Chef Micah Fredman, co-founder of Ipsa Provisions.
Sure, you may freeze zucchini with out blanching it first. Nevertheless, should you blanch it first, it’ll assist deactivate the enzymes that may make it extra mushy and discolored. The thawed zucchini could also be lower than splendid.
Whether or not or not you permit seeds within the zucchini earlier than freezing it received’t make that a lot of a distinction. “I’d attempt to keep away from the seeds when you may to maintain the moisture at bay, however should you can’t keep away from it, it’s completely advantageous to have some seeds in there,” says Pornsriniyom.
Freeze zucchini when it’s as contemporary as doable to make sure a greater high quality when thawed.
It is suitable for eating indefinitely, nevertheless, high quality, style, and texture will deteriorate after two to 3 months.