Italian Casserole Recipe
It’s a precedence in the course of the busy vacation season to spend time with particular folks. However what number of occasions have you ever mentioned farewell to dinner company or out-of-town firm and realized you have been so busy getting ready a wonderful menu that you simply missed the go to altogether?
This Italian casserole, despatched to us by Mrs. Harland J. Stone from Ocala, Fla., and revealed within the November 1990 version of Southern Dwellingis simply what you have to for the chaotic days surrounding the vacations.
You possibly can assemble it a day forward and chill in a single day. Pair this casserole with a inexperienced salad and a few heat bread, and you’ve got a savory and satisfying meal.
This casserole additionally makes a fantastic meal for a weeknight household supper, and leftovers are perfect for taking to the workplace for lunch the following day. You could even assemble this recipe in two smaller baking dishes; bake one for dinner, and freeze the opposite for a later meal. Merely wrap it securely in plastic wrap, then aluminum foil, and retailer within the freezer for if you want it.
Elements for Italian Casserole
To make this casserole, you may want:
- Raw spaghetti: Boil earlier than transferring to a baking dish as the bottom of this casserole. Can substitute with different kinds of pasta if most popular.
- Frozen chopped spinach: Thawed and drained for added colour and vitamins.
- Cream of mushroom soup: Flavors the casserole and provides a wealthy, creamy texture.
- Garlic, dried marjoramand dried entire tarragon: So as to add taste to the casserole. Can use Italian seasoning or different herbs, like basil, within the place of the marjoram and tarragon.
- Salt & pepper: Enhances the flavour.
- Italian sausage: For a meaty addition with notes of fennel and garlic.
- Onion: For added taste to enrich the sausage.
- Massive egg: Helps bind and set the ricotta whereas baking.
- Ricotta cheese: A light, gentle cheese that provides a creamy contact to the casserole.
- Tomato: A shiny, acidic garnish.
- Recent parsley: For garnish.
How To Make Italian Casserole
This casserole comes along with solely 20 minutes of hands-on prep. Full directions are beneath, however here is a short recap earlier than you get began:
- Step 1. Prepare dinner spaghetti: Prepare dinner spaghetti in accordance with package deal instructions; drain. Switch to a flippantly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- Step 2. Make pasta topping: Mix spinach and subsequent 6 components; spoon over spaghetti.
- Step 3. Prepare dinner sausage: Take away the casings from the Italian sausage hyperlinks. Prepare dinner the sausage with onion in a big skillet till meat is browned. Drain properly, and sprinkle over spinach combination.
- Step 4. Make cheese combination, chill: Mix egg and ricotta; unfold over sausage combination. Cowl and chill 8 hours.
- Step 5. Bake: Convey casserole to room temperature. Bake, lined, at 375°F for 35 to 40 minutes. Sprinkle with tomato and parsley.
Variations for Italian Casserole
One of the best a part of making this casserole is that you would be able to often make it work with what you will have readily available, and in accordance with your style. Listed below are some variation concepts if you would like to vary it up:
- Kind of pasta: Whereas spaghetti bakes are a basic for weeknight meals, any sort of pasta will do right here, together with rigatoni, cavatappi, medium shells, and extra.
- Swap the sausage: Floor beef, turkey, or rotisserie hen can all be used within the place of the Italian sausage.
- Swap up the sauce: Different creamy soups will work, or go full-Italian with marinara.
- Use different herbs: Recent basil, Italian parsley, or Italian seasoning can take the place of the dried marjoram or tarragon.
- Add different veggies: Sautéed bell peppers or mushrooms would make a pleasant addition.
- Up the cheese: Add a layer of mozzarella and grated Parmesan cheese for a gooey, tacky topping.
How To Retailer and Reheat Italian Casserole
Having dinner able to go in the course of the vacation season is an effective way to reduce that pre-holiday stress. This casserole may be made upfront, or baked forward and refrigerated to reheat when wanted:
To make it forward: Put together as directed by Step 4. Wrap and refrigerate in a single day, or freeze for as much as three months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge if frozen, then deliver to room temperature earlier than baking as directed (it could want extra baking time).
To retailer and reheat leftover casserole: Wrap and refrigerate leftover casserole for as much as three days, or freeze for as much as three months. Thaw and convey to room temperature earlier than reheating, lined, in a preheated 350°F oven or on the stovetop till sizzling all through.
Extra Make-Forward Casserole Recipes You will Love
Get forward of the week and fill your fridge or freezer with casseroles that may be made upfront:
Editorial contributions by Katie Rosenhouse.