Meatloaf Casserole Recipe
A hearty meatloaf topped with creamy mashed potatoes, this meatloaf casserole is the epitome of consolation meals. The meatloaf filling is flavored with a basic trio of onion, inexperienced peppers, and celery, together with Worcestershire and tomato for the attribute taste of Southern meatloaf.
The creamy mashed potato topping is enriched with garlic, butter, and chives. It is a Southern twist on a basic shepherd’s pie—excellent for a comfy dinner when the temperature begins to drop.
Serve up this comforting casserole with veggies or a aspect salad for a comfy dinner the entire household will love.
Components for Meatloaf Casserole
This recipe requires all of the basic elements of a standard meatloaf with a aspect of mashed potatoes. To make this casserole, you may want:
- Russet potatoes: A hearty, high-starch potato mashed for the topping.
- Half-and-half: Added to the mashed potatoes for creaminess.
- Unsalted butter: Further richness for the potatoes.
- Kosher salt: Seasons the casserole.
- Garlic: Provides depth of taste to the topping and filling.
- Recent chives: A touch of recent, oniony taste that livens up the mashed potato topping.
- Egg yolks: Emulsifiers that make for a creamy, wealthy potato topping with a calmly golden coloration that units properly when baked.
- Vegetable oil: To prepare dinner the aromatics to melt.
- Onion, inexperienced pepper & celery: Louisiana “Holy Trinity”—a basic trio that builds taste within the meatloaf filling.
- Lean floor beef: Could be substituted with floor turkey, pork, hen, and even lamb.
- Tomato sauce: Provides a hearty, tomato taste to the meatloaf.
- Breadcrumbs: Helps thicken the filling for a standard meatloaf texture.
- Worcestershire: Provides an umami taste that enhances the dish.
- Tomato paste: Provides deep taste and complexity to the filling.
- Recent parsley: Elective, for garnishing. May also use any additional chives.
How To Make Meatloaf Casserole
Placing collectively this casserole is as straightforward because it will get. Potatoes get a fast mash, the meat is browned and seasoned, and it is all layered right into a casserole dish and baked till sizzling all through. Full directions are beneath, however this is a short recap earlier than you get began:
- Step 1. Peel and cube potatoes into 1/2-inch cubes. Place right into a medium pot and canopy with chilly water; cowl and produce to a boil. Uncover and scale back warmth, simmering till tender, about quarter-hour.
- Step 2. Pressure and return to the pot. Mash potatoes till clean. Stir in half-and-half, butter, 1 tsp. salt, garlic, and chives, then two egg yolks; put aside.
- Step 3. Preheat oven to 400°F. Warmth oil in a big skillet. Add onion, bell pepper, and celery; sauté about 8 minutes.
- Step 4. Add floor beef and stir till totally cooked. Add remaining salt, tomato sauce, breadcrumbs, Worcestershire sauce, and tomato paste.
- Step 5. Unfold meat filling right into a casserole dish. Prime evenly with mashed potatoes, and bake for 25 minutes.
Variations for Meatloaf Casserole
For much more taste, be happy to get artistic:
- For much more of a nod to shepherd’s pie, add peas and carrots into the meat combination.
- Combine cheese into the mashed potatoes (shredded Cheddar or grated Parmesan), or prime with a layer of cheese earlier than baking.
- Garnish with cooked, crumbled bacon for a salty chunk.
How To Make Meatloaf Casserole Forward
Wrap and refrigerate the unbaked casserole as much as two days forward, or wrap and freeze for as much as three months. Defrost in a single day within the fridge if frozen, then bake as directed earlier than serving (it might want extra time).
How To Retailer and Reheat Leftover Meatloaf Casserole
Wrap and refrigerate leftover casserole as much as 4 days, or retailer frozen as much as three months. Reheat in a preheated 350°F oven, coated, till sizzling all through.
What To Serve With Meatloaf Casserole
This meatloaf casserole checks nearly each field. It is a filling one-pan meal with meat, potatoes, and even a couple of veggies labored into the combo. So as to add much more greens to the desk, pair with roasted carrots, asparagus, broccoli, or a light-weight aspect salad.
Extra Meatloaf Recipes You may Love
Editorial contributions by Katie Rosenhouse.