Previous-Faculty Squash Casserole Recipe
Squash casserole is a traditional dish that may be discovered at virtually any Southern dinner desk or household gathering. Many assume that Southerners desire their greens smothered in butter, cream, and cheese. That particularly holds true for the yellow squash, which as a rule is on the heart of a tacky squash casserole.
Whereas we love the squash itself, it’s the creamy sauce (constructed from cheese, mayonnaise, and eggs) and crunchy, buttery cracker topping that retains us coming again for seconds with this traditional Previous-Faculty Squash Casserole.
Squash casserole is a staple dish discovered at meat-and-three diners and at church covered-dish suppers. It may well stand by itself as a vegetarian important dish, but additionally pairs nicely with nearly any protein (fried rooster is a standard associate).
Right here, study extra about how squash casserole is made, how you can make it prematurely, and why substances are wanted.
Suggestions for the Greatest Squash Casserole
Squash casserole is a simple dish to make, however these useful ideas make it even simpler, particularly in the event you’re a first-timer.
To forestall your squash casserole from being too watery, it is vital to get as a lot liquid out of the squash throughout the preliminary cooking course of as potential. Straining the squash helps to take away extra water that leaches out of the cooked squash, and it cools the squash earlier than it’s added to the casserole. When sautéing, stir the squash usually to launch steam and stop browning.
To maintain the squash tender however not mushy, keep away from overcooking the casserole throughout the preliminary sauté. The squash nonetheless has yet one more cooking step to go (the bake within the oven) so it is higher to barely undercook it within the preliminary sauté in order that it would not flip soupy throughout baking.
As soon as cooked, gently fold the squash into the egg-cheese combination to keep away from mashing and breaking it into small items.
How To Make Squash Casserole
The complete recipe for this squash casserole is under, however here is a quick recap:
- Step 1. Prepare dinner the squash till tender: Soften butter in a big skillet over medium-high warmth. Now add squash, onion, and salt, stirring as you prepare dinner for about 10 minutes. (When prepared, the squash can be simply tender and the liquid can have evaporated.)
- Step 2. Drain squash: Switch this combination to a colander set over a bowl, and drain and discard any remaining liquid.
- Step 3. Make casserole combination: Subsequent, stir collectively eggs, bitter cream, Swiss and Cheddar cheeses, mayonnaise, thyme, pepper, and salt in a big bowl.
- Step 4. Add squash: Fold within the squash combination. Then spoon it right into a flippantly greased baking dish.
- Step 5. Make cracker crumb topping: Microwave the final portion of butter till totally melted. Toss the melted butter along with the crackers and Parmesan cheese till mixed. Sprinkle this topping over the casserole.
- Step 6. Bake casserole: Bake it within the preheated oven till golden brown, about 20 minutes.
Squash Casserole Elements
This savory and satisfying recipe requires solely reasonably priced and available substances. You will want:
- Unsalted butter: In the event you use salted butter, reduce on how a lot salt you employ to maintain the seasoning balanced.
- Yellow squash: You will want about three kilos.
- Yellow onion: The slight sweetness of yellow onion pairs properly with the squash.
- Eggs: Eggs are primarily used as a binding ingredient in casseroles. This recipe calls for 2 massive eggs, flippantly overwhelmed. Along with its binding properties, the eggs on this dish create a decadent, creamy sauce when mixed with the cheeses and mayo.
- Bitter cream: This gives the wealthy base for the creamy sauce.
- Parmesan, Cheddar, and Swiss cheeses: For an additional tacky sauce.
- Mayonnaise: Provides richness to the sauce with out being too watery.
- Contemporary thyme: This herb provides a little bit of sweetness and natural notes. You could possibly additionally use oregano.
- Spherical buttery crackers (like Ritz): These make the proper crisp topping to complete the casserole.
Making Squash Casserole Forward of Time
Squash casserole is a superb make-ahead choice for dinners or vacation events. Full the recipe via Step TK, leaving the cracker crumbs off the highest. Refrigerate as much as 12 hours, or in a single day, after which add the cracker crumbs earlier than baking. Chances are you’ll want so as to add a couple of minutes to the whole bake time to warmth the casserole solely since it is going to be chilly when it begins baking.
You may as well freeze squash casserole for a future bake. Once more, depart the cracker crumb topping off the casserole till you are able to bake. Thaw the frozen squash casserole in a single day within the fridge, then add the crumbs and bake till heated via.
Southern Residing Group Suggestions
The buttery topping is among the standout options of this filling dish, however Southern Residing neighborhood members observe some ways to adapt it for equally delicious outcomes.
“I used Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs as a substitute of crackers and I nonetheless had a crunchy, crispy topping,” Teresa Crawford says.
One other neighborhood member tried a special profitable modification. “As an alternative of two sleeves of crackers, I used one and about half cup of Range High stuffing,” the member writes. “That gave it some zing!”
Editorial contributions by Alessandra Dubin.