Candy potato casserole is an iconic Thanksgiving facet. Find out how to make it
Completely easy, candy, mashed spuds topped with butter pecan brittle, this wealthy candy potato casserole is the best facet dish for vacation gatherings — no marshmallows required.
However is it a facet dish or dessert? Is dependent upon who you ask. I like to serve this candy potato casserole alongside roasted turkey and hen, glazed ham and completely seared steaks and a candy counterpoint to the savory meats. However because the flavors are harking back to pumpkin or candy potato pie, it additionally makes a superb dessert. When serving as a dessert, I counsel including just a little vanilla ice cream, whipped cream or a drizzle of crème anglaise.
Straightforward and indulgent, this can be your new, go-to candy potato casserole recipe. Listed below are a couple of suggestions earlier than you get cooking.
Yams vs candy potatoes
Don’t use yams.
Whereas the phrases candy potato and yam are sometimes used interchangeably, they’re completely different. Candy potatoes are native to Central and South America and boast orange flesh and skinny, reddish-brown pores and skin. True yams are Native to Africa, Asia and the Caribbean and so they have starchy white flesh and tough, darkish brown pores and skin (like tree bark).
When cooked, candy potatoes are candy and creamy, whereas yams are drier and starchier (extra akin to an Idaho spud).
You want about 3 ½ kilos of candy potatoes for this casserole, which interprets to three extra-large or 5 to six small-to-medium candy potatoes.
When purchasing, seize orange-fleshed candy potatoes which might be freed from deep blemishes, bruises and gentle spots. I counsel you weigh your candy potatoes whereas on the retailer. The purpose is to finish up with 4 cups of mashed candy potatoes for a lightweight, fluffy casserole. Too little mash and the bottom can be skinny; an excessive amount of mash and the casserole can be overly dense.
Find out how to prepare dinner candy potatoes
Since this casserole requires mashed candy potatoes, it’s essential prepare dinner them first. You have got two choices: roasting and boiling. Whereas each choices are high-quality, I favor roasting as a result of it produces a deeper, richer taste.
- To roast your candy potatoes: Scrub the spuds clear and prick throughout with a fork or tip of a pointy knife. Set on a baking sheet and roast at 400 levels F for 45 to 60 minutes or till tender. When cool sufficient to deal with, peel and mash.
- To boil your candy potatoes: Peel and lower into 2-inch chunks (this quickens cooking time). Switch the candy potatoes to a big pot and pour over sufficient chilly water to cowl by about 2 inches. Set the pan over excessive warmth and convey to a boil. Boil for 20 minutes or till tender. Drain and mash.
Candy potato casserole substitutions and omissions
This recipe is forgiving and customizable relying in your dietary preferences.
Eggs: Added for construction; with out them we might simply have mashed candy potatoes.
For an egg-free dish, change the eggs with ½ cup applesauce or 2 flax eggs. To make a flax egg, mix 1 tablespoon of finely floor flaxseed and three tablespoons of water; combine effectively and let stand for five to 10 minutes till gelatinous. Word, you will want two flax eggs for this casserole.
Half and half: The mix of milk and cream makes this casserole delightfully creamy. When you have milk and cream, however not half and half, use ¼ cup of every.
For a dairy-free dishchange the half and half along with your favourite dairy-free possibility, comparable to oat milk, almond milk or coconut milk. Exchange the butter with coconut oil.
For a gluten-free, nut-free topping: Course of 1 cup of rolled oats in a blender or meals processor till finely floor. Switch the oat “flour” to a big bowl and add 1 cup rolled oats, ¾ cup brown sugar, ½ teaspoon floor cinnamon and a pinch of salt. Combine effectively. Fold in 6 tablespoons of melted butter. Use instead of the pecan topping beneath.
Extra sides:Love crispy, tender restaurant-style Brussels sprouts? This is the key to creating them
Candy potato casserole with marshmallows
For die-hard marshmallow followers, you recognize who you’re, if you happen to’d fairly have gooey marshmallows over crunchy pecans, no drawback. Merely omit the pecan crumble and sprinkle the highest of your casserole with mini marshmallows 10 minutes earlier than baking is full (after 20 minutes of baking).
Find out how to make candy potato casserole upfront
Who doesn’t love a make-ahead facet dish in the course of the holidays? This casserole is totally prep-ahead pleasant and will be refrigerated or frozen till able to bake and serve.
Refrigerating: Put together the candy potato combination as instructed and switch it to your casserole dish. Cowl tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for as much as 5 days.
Put together the pecan crumble as directed and retailer it individually, in an hermetic container or zip-top bag within the fridge for as much as 5 days.
When able to bake, take away the candy potatoes and pecan topping from the fridge half-hour earlier than baking. Simply earlier than baking, high the candy potato combination with the pecan crumble and bake as directed.
Freezing: This candy potato casserole freezes superbly. To freeze an unbaked casserole, assemble as instructed, wrap tightly with plastic wrap after which aluminum foil. Freeze for as much as 3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge and convey to room temperature earlier than baking.
To freeze a baked casserole, enable it to chill fully earlier than storing. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap after which aluminum foil and freeze for as much as 3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge and serve chilled, room temperature or reheated.
Candy Potato Casserole
This candy facet dish is a crowd-pleaser and intensely customizable. You may serve this dish chilled, room temperature or reheated. Refrigerate leftovers in an hermetic container for as much as 5 days or freeze for as much as 3 months.
Makes: 10 to 12 servings
For the casserole:
- 3 ½ kilos candy potatoes (3 extra-large or 5-6 small-to-medium)
- ½ cup mild or darkish brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup (8 tablespoons) butter, melted
- ½ cup half and half
- 2 giant eggs, frivolously crushed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the topping:
- ½ cup all-purpose flour, common or gluten-free
- ¼ cup mild or darkish brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon floor cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups pecan halves or chopped pecans
- To organize the candy potatoes, roast or boil them.
- To roast your candy potatoes, scrub clear and prick throughout with a fork or tip of a pointy knife. Set on a baking sheet and roast at 400 levels F for 45 to 60 minutes, till tender. When cool sufficient to deal with, peel.
- To boil your candy potatoes, peel and lower into 2-inch chunks (this quickens cooking time). Switch the candy potatoes to a big pot and pour over sufficient chilly water to cowl by about 2 inches. Set the pan over excessive warmth and convey to a boil. Boil for 20 minutes, till tender. Drain.
- Preheat the oven to 350 levels F.
- Coat a 9×13-inch or 8×12-inch baking pan with cooking spray or coat with butter (I used an 8×12-inch pan).
- Switch the cooked candy potatoes to the bowl of a stand mixer, or giant bowl if utilizing a handheld mixer. Beat till virtually easy, leaving some chunks for texture if desired. You must have about 4 cups of mashed candy potatoes.
- Beat within the brown sugar, melted butter, half and half, eggs, vanilla and salt.
- Switch the combination to the ready pan and unfold out in an excellent layer.
- To make the pecan topping, in a medium bowl, whisk collectively the flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar and cinnamon. Fold within the melted butter. When the combination is easy, fold within the pecans. Combination can be crumbly.
- Spoon the pecan combination evenly over candy potatoes. Switch to the oven and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, till the highest is browned and the middle is about.
- Take away from oven and funky on a wire rack for 10 minutes earlier than serving. You’ll want to cool uncovered so the casserole doesn’t steam and develop into runny.
Questions or feedback? E mail the culinary staff at email@example.com.