Candy Potato Casserole – As soon as Upon a Chef
This submit might comprise affiliate hyperlinks. Learn my full disclosure coverage.
Take your candy potato casserole up a notch by changing the normal marshmallow topping with a crunchy brown sugar and pecan streusel.
Relating to Thanksgiving dinner, I feel most of us would say, “Don’t get fancy on me, simply make the requirements actually particular.” That’s why this down-home candy potato casserole is all the time an enormous hit. It’s an outdated Southern specialty that graces nearly each vacation desk. As a substitute of the normal marshmallow topping (sure, a traditional, however let’s be trustworthy, a gourmand dish marshmallows don’t make), I cowl the candy potatoes with a crunchy brown sugar-pecan streusel. It completely makes the dish. Like many Thanksgiving candy potato sides, it’s nearly candy sufficient to be dessert. In my home, it’s “that dish”— the one everybody reaches their fork into lengthy after the meal is completed.
“My mother and I used your recipe for Thanksgiving and beloved it a lot that we’re making it once more for Christmas. Thanks for such a simple, scrumptious dish that we’ll take pleasure in for years to come back!”
What you’ll have to make A candy potato casserole
Heads up: most grocery shops use the names “candy potato” and “yam” interchangeably. This may be complicated since yams aren’t candy potatoes in any respect, however slightly thick white tubers with darkish brown pores and skin. Chances are high you gained’t discover actual yams on the grocery store, so if you happen to see “yams,” you’re in all probability candy potatoes.
Convey a big pot of water to a boil. Add the candy potatoes and cook dinner till mushy and tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain and let cool.
Within the meantime, make the topping: Soften the butter in a medium bowl the microwave. (Alternatively, soften the butter in a small pan or over low warmth and switch to a medium bowl.)
Add the brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon.
Combine till nicely mixed. It ought to look a bit clumpy.
Add the chopped nuts, and stir to mix.
Place the cooked and drained candy potatoes in a big bowl.
Mash with a potato masher or giant fork till very easy.
Add the melted butter, salt, and brown sugar and nutmeg.
Combine nicely, then add the eggs.
Stir to mix. It’s okay if it isn’t utterly easy.
Switch the candy potato combination to a 2-quart baking dish and unfold evenly.
Sprinkle the topping evenly over the candy potato combination.
Bake for about 40 minutes, uncovered, or till the topping is properly browned. Let cool barely earlier than serving.
In case you’d like to interrupt up the preparation of this dish a bit, be at liberty to make and refrigerate the streusel just a few days forward. Or, if you happen to actually need to get a head begin, assemble and refrigerate the entire casserole as much as two days forward of time. Bake proper earlier than serving for greatest outcomes.
You might also like
Candy Potato Casserole
For the Candy Potato Combination
- 3 kilos candy potatoes (about 3 giant), peeled and reduce into 1-inch chunks
- ¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup packed gentle brown sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon floor nutmeg
- 2 giant eggs, calmly crushed
For the Streusel Topping
- ¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed gentle brown sugar
- ⅓ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon floor cinnamon
- 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and set an oven rack within the center place.
- Convey a big pot of water to a boil (no have to salt). Add the candy potatoes and cook dinner till mushy and very tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- In the meantime, make the topping: Soften the butter in a medium bowl within the microwave. (Alternatively, soften it in a small pan over low warmth and switch to a medium bowl.) Add the brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon and blend till nicely mixed. It ought to look a bit clumpy. Stir within the chopped nuts and put aside.
- In a big bowl, mash the cooked and drained candy potatoes with a potato masher or giant fork till very easy. Add the melted butter, salt, sugar, and nutmeg and blend nicely. Combine within the eggs. It is okay if there are some lumps. Put aside.
- Switch the candy potato combination to a 2-quart baking dish and unfold evenly. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the candy potato combination and bake, uncovered, for about 40 minutes, or till the topping is properly browned. Let cool barely earlier than serving.
- Make-Forward/Freezer-Pleasant Directions: The assembled casserole may be refrigerated for two days or frozen for as much as 3 months. If frozen, enable just a few further minutes within the oven to bake.
- Per serving (8 servings)
- Energy: 489
- Fats: 22 g
- Saturated fats: 8 g
- Carbohydrates: 70 g
- Sugar: 35 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 6 g
- Sodium: 348 mg
- Ldl cholesterol: 77 mg
This web site is written and produced for informational functions solely. I’m not an authorized nutritionist and the dietary information on this website has not been evaluated or accredited by a nutritionist or the Meals and Drug Administration. Dietary data is obtainable as a courtesy and shouldn’t be construed as a assure. The information is calculated by means of a web based dietary calculator, Edamam.com. Though I do my greatest to supply correct dietary data, these figures ought to be thought-about estimates solely. Various elements comparable to product varieties or manufacturers bought, pure fluctuations in contemporary produce, and the best way substances are processed change the efficient dietary data in any given recipe. Moreover, completely different on-line calculators present completely different outcomes relying on their very own diet truth sources and algorithms. To acquire probably the most correct dietary data in a given recipe, you must calculate the dietary data with the precise substances utilized in your recipe, utilizing your most well-liked diet calculator.